Translate

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Anniversary Grub

Last week my Boyfriend and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary.  We are not a typical super romantic couple, although we do have our moments.  When this date pops up every year, there is no gift buying or expensive restaurant reservations.  No flowers or jewellery, I'm not that kind of girl.  Usually it consists of the two of us finding a new, cheap place to eat great food and hang out.  This year, since we're trying to eat more at home, I decided that I was going to make a feast for us. When I asked my fella what a perfect meal would be for him, he simply said: bacon wrapped things?  Challenge accepted.   It was decided that every course would have bacon in it somewhere.


For the first course I decided to do a romantic twist on a caesar salad. In place of typical croutons and bacon bits, I made heart shaped pretzels topped with a delicious bacon jam. The smokey saltiness of the jam really complemented the strong garlic flavour of the salad dressing. I'm not usually a big caesar salad fan, normally I find them to be a little too plan and boring.  Not to mention that I don't eat bread and dislike creamy salad dressings.  But this dish struck the perfect starting note for the meal. 

{A little extra love never hurts a meal}
For the main course I went rustic.  Roasted cornish hens served with mashed turnip and bacon wrapped asparagus spears.  Fairly straight forward and simple, but so satisfying. A few spoonfuls of bacon jam may have found their way into the turnips as well.  How clumsy of me.


Dessert. Heart shaped chocolate cupcakes topped with chocolate ganache, shredded coconut and chocolate bacon meringues.  Paired with toasted coconut coffee for him and organic stormy night tea for me.  Definitely the perfect sweet ending to a delectable meal.


In the end we had stuffed bellies, smiles on our faces, 4 years of togetherness and leftovers for the next day.  Even though I only technically wrapped one thing in bacon, I think the ingredient was incorporated quite well throughout the meal.  Of course this means that next year I will have to top myself with a new challenge and an even better meal.  Good thing I have almost 365 days to prep.




G.

No comments:

Post a Comment