Translate

Friday, January 20, 2012

Texting..Texting...1,2,G...

Last Sunday I left my cellphone at my parents house. When I realized this, first I thought "crap that sucks". Then, when I talked to my Mum and she informed me I'd have to wait a few days before I could get it back, I moved on to "That's going to be really inconvenient". My inner self was ready to move into full on panic mode. But I figured it's only a couple days no big deal if my main source of communication is well incommunicado. I can handle this.

Naturally I went straight to Facebook to update all the people, that clearly pay attention to my every move, that I would be without a cell for a couple days and the only way to reach me would be online. Sunday became Monday and Monday stretched out until Tuesday arrived. I think I spent most of Tuesday thinking about how I would be getting my phone back. Then it was delayed to Thursday. The rest of my Tuesday inner dialogue went something like: "THURSDAY? 2 MORE DAYS WITHOUT MY PHONE!?!?! HOW AM I GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS? No, no calm down you've gone 2 days what's two days more? Get a hold of yourself. You're right, I don't need my phone I'm not ruled by it. OMG WHAT IF I MISS A TEXT OR PHONE CALL!?!? No big deal it's fine" *twitch*.

On Wednesday night, on my way home from volleyball, I had managed to pull myself out of my cellphone induced craziness. That is until I arrived home to the front door of my building being locked and me not having my key to get in. I couldn't call my boyfriend who was upstairs or my neighbor. Even if I could find a pay phone I didn't have change or know their numbers. I did manage to connect to some sketchy wi-fi with my iPod and email my boyfriend in hopes of him reading it. Then I just stood under my window and shouted his name until he finally heard me. Okay that sucked, good thing I'm getting my phone back tomorrow.

Thursday...well hello snow, so nice to see that you are showing up just enough for my Mum to push the delivery date back to Saturday. Wait..Saturday?!?!?! FML.

So now it's Friday and I am ranting (whining?) on my blog about not having my cell for five measly days. Which brings me to ask: When did my cellphone become my life line? I know that at some point carrying around quarters to make a call was normal and I had all the numbers I needed memorized. Now panic sets in if I leave my phone at home for a day. When exactly did I become so dependent on this little piece of technology? I remember for years I only ever turned my phone on to make a quick call then turned it off again (I also remember how it infuriated my family and friends that they couldn't get a hold of me easily because of this). I used to refuse to text message people because of how impersonal it felt. Now I probably text more then I call. My phone feels like an extra appendage, and I don't even have a some super fancy model like an iPhone or Blackberry. This little blue thing with buttons is controlling my life! I'm so tempted to just toss it away and be rid of the damn thing.

What a good idea, I could be phoneless! Hell I could delete my Facebook profile, say goodbye to Twitter, stop pinning things on Pinterest and quit blogging about crap that goes on in my head. I could break away from these invisible chains that hold me down. Maybe I'll just walk away from my computer...from society! I could run away to be a hermit in the woods where I would live off the land and only accept mailed letters as forms of communication! Yes!! Why haven't I thought of this before? I could do this, it would be wonderful and oh so freeing...I'd answer to no one but myself!!! But then again...those LOL Cats are pretty cute. Guess I'll just wait until Saturday instead.


G.

No comments:

Post a Comment