Translate

Friday, February 18, 2011

Long Weekend Git-R-Done

It's Friday! More specifically, it's Friday of a long weekend!! I've promised myself that I will be productive over the next few days. I have a ton of cleaning and de-cluttering to get done to open up some much needed extra space. Also I'm going shopping. I realize, of course, that shopping for stuff while trying to get rid of things is a little redundant. I'd say that I was ONLY going to buy apartment organizers...but I'd be lying. I'm on the hunt for new clothes. Particularly clothes that fit me.

On average I tend to float around a size 14, while sometimes fitting into a size 12 or having to go up a size to a 16. I've even experienced some time in a size 18 and reminisce about my early high school years in a 10. I find that out of all the sizes I have been, 14 seems to be the hardest to dress. It's the no mans land of sizes. Biggest size in a lot of 'regular' stores (if you're lucky) and the bottom size at plus stores. This leaves me in a love/hate relationship with shopping. Even when I can find a size14, I'm either too muscular or not curvy enough for the clothes to sit on me properly. Can someone please tell me where it is written that 'Plus Size' means I have curves that go on for days? I have broad shoulders, an ample bust and a large rib cage. Followed by having no hips, some extra love around the mid section and large but muscled legs. I like to think of myself as Athletically Fat. Maybe not the nicest term to describe oneself, but it is accurate. There is no 'hourglass' on this figure.

While I'm on the subject of plus size; what is up with the stores insisting I dress like a 40-year-old Matron? Adding sequins to a top does not automatically make it 'hip and young'. Bland clothes without any shape, or seeming life to them, do not flatter me or my personality. I want clothes that give me some shape as well as colours and patterns that express who I am. Needless to say, I practically swooned the first time I saw a plus size section at the Forever 21 in Fairview Mall. Yes, it's was the only Forever 21 store in all of Toronto that had it, and it was a small section at that, but I was able to walk into it and find at least 10 things I wanted to try on. On a good outing at other stores, I'd find maybe 4 or 5 things I liked then was lucky if 1 or 2 of them were in my size. If I walked out of a store with a new top it was a success. I walk out of Forever 21 with a couple dresses, some cardigans, a pair of leggings and maybe even a top or two and usually don't spend more than $100. If more stores similar to Forever 21 start producing trendy clothes in plus sizes I will be ecstatic.

Rants about stores aside, my biggest problem right now is my injury. Lack of movement, never mind exercise, has definitely pushed me up a couple dress sizes. Leaving me with a wardrobe of clothes that are too small. My challenge currently is to buy clothes that fit me now, but will still work when I get rid of my injury weight. And I will get rid of it (and maybe some of the extra pounds I had before). I'll never be a small girl; I've accepted that. But I do intend to be a fashionable girl who is as fit as possible...size need not apply.


G.

No comments:

Post a Comment