Translate

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Girl I Used To Be

I used to be one of those girls. You know who I'm talking about; the ones with the FTW attitude, who spent most of her money on mesh and black liquid liner and expressed her loathing for everything with melodramatic poetry and disdain for any music that wasn't obscurely foreign and landed in the categories of Goth/Metal/Industrial/Darkwave/Misc. Everyone called me Goth, even when I steadfastly refused to be 'labeled' as such. What I was, was lost.

Most people who look at me now would never be able to guess that I ever donned such a persona and trudged around in combat boots with a coffin purse daring people to give me a snotty look. So what happened to that girl? Well she grew up, got a job, started to tone down her wardrobe to make it more 'work appropriate', and realized that the chip on her shoulder was mighty heavy to have to lug around all the time. Simply put: she got over herself.

That's not to say that I totally abandoned my need to express myself or stick out from a crowd. I just go about it differently. I exchanged my monochrome wardrobe of black for bright colours and fun prints. I decided it was okay to express my girly side with floral prints, soft makeup and flouncy dresses. I like to go dancing and gossip with the girls and do all sorts of things that the Old me would've scoffed at. Yeah I might look much more 'normal' (whatever that word really means anyways) but I'm happy. Plus, as an added bonus, it's much more shocking when the girl in the purple baby doll dress decides to headbang to some Metal music while perusing the latest and most gore-filled movie selection.

There's some things that never change. I like that.




G.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see you happy but the memories of the girl in the top picture will last the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete