Translate

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Trunk Restoration ~ Getting Started

Captains Log ~ Day 1

I have located an old trunk in the depths of the parental garage.  It looks a little dinged up but I think it can be restored to a useable condition.  I see a stylistic coffee table in my future. Upon closer inspection the trunk seems to be in fairly good condition. A few dents and scrapes, missing handles, rust build up and a terrible peach interior - however the canvas is still intact, all the metal parts are there and the wood looks pretty good.  I believe I can work with this.


I have assembled a skilled team of safety goggles, face masks, gloves, steel wool, sand paper, online tips and good ol' elbow grease.  I believe that as a unit we should be able to tackle this job.  Project is a go!




~Hour 1~

An interesting assortment of objects have been pulled out of the trunk.  Old passports, baptism papers, paintings and various other documents.  Most notable is an old bar guide poster. I will pack this one away and take it back to headquarters, we can use some more interesting and informative wall art.  

 
~Hour 1.5~

I've wiped off excess dust and dirt from the outside of the trunk. My research has informed me that removing all the rust is the next step.  Also it seems to be the longest and most tedious step, better get a move on.  Engage steel wool.



~Hour 2~

It appears that my steel wool grade is not adequate for the job.  The stubborn rust does not seem to be dissipating while little bits of steel wool are steadily accumulating all over the garage. Perhaps if I use the steel brush...

Note to self: the steel brush is too aggressive and will scratch the metal. Abort! Abort! 

Re-engaging steel wool now.

~Hour 2.5~

My respirator mask is too tight, the steady pressure on the bridge of my nose has built to a level that is not easily ignored.   Nose has swollen up with slight signs of bruising and a headache has developed.  Rust is still intact. Hunger pains have set in. I'm thinking a regroup is in order.  

Fall back team! 

It looks as though we will need to head back to HQ for further research, additional supplies and a new plan of attack.  Not to mention some lunch.



Captains Log out!


G. 


No comments:

Post a Comment